Friday, May 1, 2015

A Coppersmith Barbet Nests in a Bamboo Stick

One evening on the terrace of my home in Trichy I saw a small colorful bird landing and halting on one of the dried bamboo sticks mounted on my neighbor's terrace. The other dried bamboo stick was little farther. A rope was tied between these two bamboo sticks, so that wet-washed clothes could be hung on the rope, and clipped to dry.

I noticed that the bird initially stood on the dried bamboo stick for awhile and then went inside to take rest, and called it a day. The next day around the same time, I happened to see the bird again at the same spot. Soon I realized that the dried bamboo stick was the nest to this wonderful bird. 

Seeing this bird closer was such a feast for my eyes. Though I clicked couple of pictures of this bird, the idea of filming occurred to me only later. The following day I patiently waited with my camera in video mode. The bird was gracious enough to come and help me in filming it. 

I googled "small colorful bird" and found out the name of this bird, and that was Coppersmith Barbet. The bird's call is similar to a coppersmith striking a metal with a hammer, thats how the bird would have got its name. 

Enjoy watching the video below. The video is followed by a couple of photographs of the same bird which I clicked. The first photograph is where the bird is peeking out of its nest. May be it is having a balcony view. I should say I was lucky to click the second photograph with two birds in one frame; one was halting on a branch, and the other was in the air. :-)






Filmed and Photographed : March 2015
Place : Malaikovil, Trichy

Reviewed by M Karthikeyan

2 comments:

ratnakar said...

Mani,

Really a good one.
First thing the bird indeed is really colorful

The photo where the bird has peeked out the bamboo stick to see who is around was awesome.

Kirti said...

Dear Mani bhai,
This is just wonderful...still cannot believe how it goes into bamboo stick such is the beauty of nature maybe great :)